- Most popular berry fruit in the world
- Should be eaten 3-4 times per week to achieve maximum health benefits
- At peak April-July
- Considered to have highest health-promoting antioxidants among all fruits
- Retain maximum amount of nutrients when enjoyed fresh and not cooked. Vitamins and antioxidants are unable to withstand high temperatures
- Vitamin C
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamin B6
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Cardiovascular benefits
- Blood Sugar benefits
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits
Selection and Storage
- Very perishable; should only be purchased a few days prior to use.
- Choose berries that are firm, plump, free of mold and which have a shiny, deep red color with attached green caps. Full ripe berries will not only have the peak flavor and texture, but they will have more nutrients.
- Studies show 2 days as the maximal time for strawberry storage without major loss of vitamin C and polyphenol antioxidants.
- Since very perishable, strawberries should not be washed until right before eating.
Individual Health Concerns
- Strawberries are at the top of fruits on which pesticide residues have been most frequently found. Individuals wanting to avoid pesticide risks will want to consume organically grown.
- Strawberries are among a small number of foods that contain measurable amounts of oxalates. When oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems. Individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating strawberries. Oxalates may also interfere with absorption of calcium from the body.
Here’s a delicious recipe for you!
Strawberry & Feta Salad
Your favorite mixed greens
2 cups quartered strawberries
½ cup toasted sliced almonds
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons your favorite vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons your favorite healthy sweetner (I use raw honey)
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
Combine the dressing together. Combine all of the salad ingredients together. Dress with the dressing. Enjoy!
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe and that it helps you live a healthier life. I would absolutely love to hear from you, so please leave a comment below and let me know what you think. If you enjoyed this post, share it with your friends and family!
Lots of love,
This year we have launched an exciting collaboration with Soul Food Salon. Each week, we feature a delicious, seasonal, and nutritious ingredient. We not only tell you a bit about it and all of the nutrition it represents, but also we provide you with a recipe so you can cook it at home. Please share pictures of your meals on Instagram using the hashtag #SoulFoodSalon. Follow us at @JudithDuval and @SoulFoodSalon. We can’t wait to learn and cook with you!