This recipe is courtesy of Rebecca Katz, a cook and award winning cookbook author. Enjoy!
½ cup organic coconut palm sugar
1 organic egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup organic unsalted almond butter
1 cup dark chocolate chips (70% cacao)
¼ cup cocoa nibs
⅛ teaspoon fleur de sel or another large crystal salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the almond butter stirring to combine. Incorporate the chocolate chips and cocoa nibs. Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, evenly space scoops of the mixture on the baking sheet. Press down with a spatula or back of the spoon to slightly flatten. Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of fleur de sel. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cookies bounce back when touched. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then using a spatula transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool for another 10 minutes.
About Dark Chocolate:
- Theobroma cacao is the plant from which the cocoa bean (also known as the cacao bean or simply cocoa) is extracted. It is native to Central America.
- The cocoa bean is the dried and fully fermented fatty seed.
- There are several types of chocolate, each with different proportions of cocoa solids and cocoa butter-- dark chocolate has a much higher percentage of cocoa in it.
- The fat contained in dark chocolate is stearic acid, a type of saturated fat that does not raise cholesterol levels.
- Flavanols like catechin, epicatechin, and procyanidin
- Lowered risk of heart disease
- Decrease in systolic blood pressure
- Decrease in LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol)
- Increase in HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol)
- Improved blood vessel health
- Reduced stickiness of platelets
- Diabetes health benefits including a decrease in fasting insulin levels, improvement in insulin resistance, borderline improvement in fasting glucose
- Decreased risk of stroke
- Decreased risk of cancer
In collaboration with Soul Food Salon, each week we will feature a delicious and seasonal ingredient (recipe + some interesting wellness facts). Please share pictures of your meals on Instagram using the hashtag #SoulFoodSalon and follow us at @JudithDuval and @SoulFoodSalon. We can’t wait to cook with you!