We all want our food to taste delicious. Unfortunately we often add flavor with salt, leading to a slew of health issues.
Minimizing sodium is a good health move. Here are 15 ways to add flavor to your food without using excess salt. Many of these also have other incredible health benefits!
- Garlic - powder or fresh, which also helps lower blood pressure and “bad” cholesterol
- Onion - powder or fresh, which also includes an antioxidant that can reduce plaque buildup in your arteries
- Cayenne pepper, which may also help you burn a few extra calories
- Ginger, which also has multiple health benefits for pregnant women
- Lemon/lime juice or zest, which adds a wonderful splash of vitamin C to your meal
- Balsamic vinegar, which has been found to normalize blood pressure
- Apple cider vinegar, which may also help prevent diabetes
- Herbs de Provence, these include oregano, rosemary, thyme, fennel, tarragon, bay leaf, and summer savory, and each has their own health benefits
- Za'atar, this is a combination of sumac, toasted sesame seeds, thyme, oregano, cumin, and marjoram, each has their own health beneifts)
- Oregano, which contains antioxidants
- Basil, which includes vitamin K for healthy bones
- Cilantro – fresh or dried, which also contains vitamin K
- Coriander, the seed of Cilantro, with similar health benefits
- Rosemary, which can help reduce the carcinogenic compounds in grilled meat
- Nutritional yeast, which contains a huge variety of nutrients like protein, fiber, zinc, selenium, potassium, and B-12
Add these herbs, spices, and ingredients to your meals for wonderful, sodium-free flavor!
We hope this article takes you to greater health.
Please share this article with your friends and family so that they can also live a healthier life with easy and simple changes to the choices they make each day.